Category Archives: Regulatory
The issue of whether a municipality has the power to outright ban hydraulic fracturing has presented itself in the State of Texas. On November 4, 2014, votors passed an ordinance that banned hydraulic fracturing in the City of Denton. The municipality sits atop the Barnett Shale. The ordinance provides, in pertenant part, as follows: It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in hydraulic fracturing within the corporate limits of the City… The violation of or noncompliance with this article by any person, firm,…Continue Reading....
North Carolina’s governor signed into law the Energy Modernization Act, which lifts the moritorium on fracking. North Carolina becomes the 22nd state to permit fracking. It is predicted that shale gas exploration will begin in 2015. Permits will be fast-tracked. North Carolina officials and others debate the total amount of shale gas in North Carolina. At least one academic has stated, however, that the Sanford sub-basin provides the best opportunity to extract natural gas from the state. Some predict, on the other hand,…Continue Reading....
- Colorado public finances bolstered by oil and gas taxes and fees (Denver Post)
- Santa Cruz County bans fracking (Reuters)
- North Carolina Senate passes fracking laws, sending to the house (Fayotville Observer)
- EPA initates public rulemaking on chemical fluid reporting (National Law Review)
- New York senator introduces bill seeking to ban wastewater from being transproted into the state. (Think Progress)
- Pennsylvania rabbit breeder sues energy company over low flying helicopters. (Allentown Morning News)
- March 9, 2014
- Government, Academic and Industry Studies and Reports,Legislation/Regulation,Regulatory
- In a largely symbolic move, the LA votes to ban fracking in that county. Kern County remains unaffected by the ban.
- California Governor heckled by fracking protestors during Democratic Party Convention.
- EPA issues new guidelines for diesel fuel used in fracking operations.
- Kansas commission to study whether there is a potential relationship between hydraulic fracturing and seismic activity.
- North Carolina Sets Distances Between Drilling and Homes and Streams
- Virginia to Expand Chemical Disclosures
- Proposed Fracking in George Washington National Forest Is Met With Vigorous Opposition
- New York Landowners Threaten Another Lawsuit Arising Out of Fracking Delays
- New York Will Not Issue Fracking Permits Until At Least March 2015